The holidays are right around the corner and it is important to stay safe especially when operating a motor vehicle. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are more fatalities from car accidents on the holidays than on non-holidays.
Christmas and New Year’s Eve are considered to be the two most dangerous holidays for car accidents. During this, there is a 34% increase in accidents and 38% increase of fatalities occurring. It is important to take extra precaution when traveling.
The number of accidents comes from a variety of circumstances that arise during the festive times of every year.
These are primary factors in why accidents occur during holidays:
- Increased Traffic
- There are more cars on the road in close proximity a car accident is likely to occur
- Distracted Drivers
- Drivers can become distracted causing failure to focus on the road, follow road rules causing collisions
- Inclement Weather
- Pay attention to the weather, roads will be icy, full of snow and sleet and with windy conditions during the winter become aware take precaution when traveling
- Drunk & Fatigue Driver
- As you celebrate the holidays and consume alcohol, driving under the influence becomes prevalent and leads to car accidents, having a designated driver or just taking Uber or Lyft can prevent accidents. Your ability to think and make choices becomes impaired.
- With all the running around at this busy time, it can cause less sleep, resulting in fatigue. It is like driving drunk. The National Safety Council stated that a person is three times more likely to get in an accident when fatigued.
- Inability to Keep Up Vehicle
- If you will be driving in winter conditions, it is important to take your car for a check up. The inability to break when needed or a blowout in the highway because of a worn out tire can cause an accident causing drivers and the passengers lives to be put at risk.
- Unfamiliar Roads
- People visiting family or friends in towns that they are unfamiliar with can lead to a collision. Do not become distracted when finding your way, pay attention to all things. Remember you are not familiar with the city’s traffic flow and customs.
A few more tips to help prevent holiday accident:
- Remain alert and awake when in control of a vehicle
- Plan and give yourself plenty of time to reach your location
- Avoid traveling during busy periods
- Avoid drinking and driving
- Prepare for unplanned circumstances
- Avoid distractions
- No driving and texting
- Obey rules of the road
- Pay careful attention to your surroundings and any of the vehicles around you
- Check weather forecast
- Be defensive car driver and be cautious
- Wear lap belt in car ride always
With over 50 years of expertise, the Law Firm of Cohen and Cohen, a Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer Hollywood Fl, is the perfect choice for you! We are a Personal Injury Law Firm Hollywood Fl with a focus on motor vehicle accidents, medical malpractice, pedestrian and bicycle accidents. If you have gone through the following contact us for a free consultati