After an auto accident, it’s easy to find yourself emotionally, mentally or physically distressed. And while seeking medical attention right away is crucial to your health, there are also a variety of plant-based herbs and products that can help reduce inflammation and prevent further damages, as well as soothe and reduce any current pain you might be experiencing.
Here are some natural at-home remedies to use for helping reduce swelling and lessen pain after an auto accident, while you wait to see a medical professional.
Remedy for Swelling:
- Curcumin – The primary pharmacological agent in turmeric, curcumin has the potency equivalent to anti-inflammatory drugs, such as hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone. It often is found in pill form and is an inexpensive alternative to other medications.
- Ginger Root – This plant contains a strong protein-digesting enzyme that helps effectively reduce inflammation and swelling. It also reduces pain and stiffness that may have occurred from a recent traumatic event, such as an auto accident.
Remedy for Bruising:
Bentonite Clay – Composed of sedimentary clay that contains aged volcanic ash, bentonite clay is great for applying on bruises. When combined with water, its electrical components change, giving it the ability to absorb and remove toxins, heavy metals, impurities, and chemicals, as well as reduce discoloration and speed up healing time.
Parsley Leaves – Crushing up a handful of fresh parsley leaves and applying it to skin as a natural rub can help reduce inflammation and swelling, as well as contains healing properties that reduce the appearance of bruises.
Remedy for Minor Cuts and Scrapes:
- Calendula – This is a very useful and highly versatile medicinal plant that’s ideal for minor cuts, as it has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It’s most frequently found in the form of salves, ointments and washes, and helps to fight minor infections and heal open wounds quickly.
Remedy for Headaches and Migraines:
- Basil Essential Oil – Because the basil plant has powerful antispasmodic, antiviral anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxing properties, it’s a good remedy for relieving headache and migraine pain. Some people use it in vaporizers or over candle warmers. It can also be blended in warm bath water.
- Peppermint Oil – Peppermint oil is commonly used in aromatherapy for migraines, and is a refreshing product for mental and physical rejuvenation. The oil can be inhaled, applied to the skin (after diluting with another oil), or taken by mouth in very small doses.
- Rosemary Oil – Rosemary essential oil may be added to a base oil and rubbed into the skin or added to warm bath water to help relieve headaches or migraines, especially after a traumatic event like a car accident. However, contact with the eyes or any open cuts should be avoided.
Remedy for Emotional Shock:
- Chamomile – Chamomile is a safe, natural way to calm and soothe your mind and body after an accident. Though it can be found in a variety of forms, including pill, extract, lotion, soap and more, but one of the most common ways chamomile is used is in hot tea.
Though there isn’t just a one-size-fits-all medication or treatment to get rid of all pain and injuries after an auto accident, these more natural remedies can certainly help make you feel more comfortable while you get back to your best state of well-being. Additionally, drinking plenty of fluids, getting a lot of rest and icing your injuries will only speed up the healing process, so be sure to add those into your routine, as well.
For even more helpful information like this, view some of our other blog articles or download our free toolkit—How To Take Care of Yourself and Stay on Track After Your Car Accident—which offers a variety of materials to help you through this stressful experience, including an overview of Florida car accident laws, a checklist of materials to bring your lawyer, and much more.
See how The Law Firm of Cohen & Cohen can help you by contacting us online or calling 1-800-33-COHEN today.